Sunday, October 21, 2007

Early Failure: A crash course in half-assing.

So, I get up today, motiated...excited even, because I've planned on taking my bike to work (I'm a security guard on the weekends) so I can bike around the site, instead of driving or walking. Sounds like its good for your health, right?

Well...Yeah, I've done that and have been doing that. I've pedaled around for about 60 mins of my shift thus far (another 4 hours to go), but I've also ingested 2200 cals, 150 grams of fat, 50 grams of which was saturated fat...Its tough to find food on the go.

But that might be my downfall. When I was at my diet's worst, I would be going to college, volunteering as a police cadet and working...Breakfast would be whatever I could scrape togther at Starbucks, lunch would be something deep fried and grilled in between classes, dinner would be whatever comes on a bun so I could either carry it in the car to a call or I could take to work with 0 preparation.

Now I'm back in the same boat...I work full time, intern and work another 24 hours...back to grabbing food and not preparing it.

Suggestions? Is there quick healthy stuff out there or should I suck it up and find some time?

3 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

There are healthy alternatives out there, depending on where you're going. Wendys has a good chicken sandwich (or chili if you can ride and eat), McDonalds has the grilled chicken wrap - avoid Burger King, and those Pita shops are always good (try a lettuce wrap?)

Ideally, pack your lunch prior to going and plan out your day. Others will give some good ideas as well.

Kristen said...

These days you can find semi-prepared packs at the grocery store. They should be better and cheaper than what you're doing now. I know South Beach has these wraps that are good.

Jim McCoy said...

First off, welcome to the FAT Coalition.

Second off, you can do quick stuff that's healthy, you just have to plan ahead.

If you can take a cooler with you, try packing a healthy sandwich, like maybe some Tuna or a lunchmeat deal.

Also good are the little subs you can get at gas stations sometimes, with just the lunchmeat and lettuce, but then you get stuck with the bun. Mind you, I've lost seventy pounds eating two sandwiches a day, but if you're on the Atkins diet, this might not work for you.

If you have access to a microwave, Michelina's has some good meals that run about 250-400 calories, and the diet version are low in fat too. They're not real easy to eat in the car though, but maybe at work if they have a microwave or something. They only take about three minutes or so to heat, too.

Just a couple of thoughts, I hope it helps.